Monday, December 18, 2006

Snippets From Tales Of Victory And Triumph Nobody Cares To Hear

"...So there I was, playing Tetris with a screen so full that I was almost done for, waiting for one of those long blue pieces so that I could clear a few lines. But then I got a Z-piece. And then an S-piece. And then another Z- I was about ready to put down the controller and call it quits, when, all of a sudden, I got two long pieces in a row, cleared 8 lines, and moved onto level twelve. Now, if you thought Tetris was hard in level eleven, then wait'll you hear about level twelve. I had a T-piece to start..."

"...And that's when I noticed that I had one less white sock than I should have. Nobody was home but me, so it couldn't have been stolen out of the dryer. It's still in the dryer, I thought, that's why I can't find that sock. Knowing the gravity of the situation, I steeled myself for what I had to do next- I had to put my bare hand in the dryer and feel around for my missing sock. Believe you me, not even the Maytag repair man had ever seen a dryer so fierce..."

"...One car went past me, then another, then another. I looked both ways, then realized that I had my window of opportunity. I could see a station wagon in the distance, so I knew I had to act right then. I don't know what came over me- I guess you'd call it an adrenaline rush- but I walked right across that street without ever looking back. Needless to say, when I made it to the other side I was petrified, because the station wagon came zooming by where I had been standing just a few seconds earlier..."

"...I pushed as hard as I could, but couldn't get it to budge. Frantic, I turned the aspirin bottle over to read the instructions- maybe I was trying to open the wrong kind of cap? As it turns out, I was. It was one of those ones where you have to push the two tabs in on the side. Now, I don't know if you've ever tried to perform a precision operation such as this with a mild headache, but it is not pleasant..."

"...The sound was maddening, deafening almost. Fueled by the sort of crazed determination only experienced during fits of insomnia, I crept towards the bathroom, ready to do whatever it took to stop that toilet from running for the rest of the evening. The tile was cold on my bare feet- cold like death, but I had already turned on the lights so I could see what I was doing, and I sure as heck wasn't about to turn back after that..."

No comments: